#give4kids this #givingtuesday
the good news is that, together, we can stop child abuse
Every 15 minutes, one child is confirmed as abused or neglected in Massachusetts. And that’s just cases that are reported and later confirmed by the Department of Children and Families.
While the tragedies of child abuse often dominate the headlines, we know that there are countless ways that people, organizations, and communities across the Commonwealth are taking the lead in stopping harm to children before it ever occurs.
The good news is that, together, we can stop child abuse.
We can create the resilient, caring communities that every child and family deserves. While it’s easy to point fingers when child abuse occurs, it’s much harder to dig in and effectively address both the root causes of child maltreatment and the gaps in our institutions that allow it to continue. The Children’s Trust has been doing just that for three decades. We are on a mission to stop child abuse in Massachusetts.
Everyone can agree that every child deserves a safe and healthy childhood. We believe that stopping child abuse before it happens should receive at least as much emphasis as responses to abuse: it’s cheaper, more effective, and better for kids, our communities, and our Commonwealth.
While many organizations focus on either children or parents, we take a two-generational approach — working with both children and parents. This approach recognizes that in order to ensure kids are safe and healthy, we must support children’s development and also address the challenges their parents face.
It is time for every one of us to step up and start to take responsibility for the most vulnerable among us.
This Child Abuse Prevention Month, we invite you to join the growing movement to stop child abuse in Massachusetts and beyond. Here are some of the many ways you can help:
- Take a one five “selfie” to promote our #every15minutes camaign to #stopchildabuse.
- Go orange for April to help build buzz by adding this profile overlay on Facebook.
- Register for our April 28th (new date) #every15minutes rally to stop child abuse.
- Sign the pledge to take action (and get your organization to sign on).
- Spread the word with our shareable graphics at every15.org and these sample social media posts.
- Make a donation to benefit the Children’s Trust’s evidence-based programs to prevent child abuse and neglect.
It is time for us to stand up and say YES to safe kids and healthy futures. It takes a village. We are that village.